Eccox Application Quality Control for DB2 is a tool that automates the verification of SQL coding for access to DB2 databases in the z/OS environment. It verifies whether the code is appropriate in terms of performance and compatible with previously established rules that implement the best coding practices aiming to reduce the time and cost consumed in the execution of the SQL.
The flexibility of the SQL language allows a programmer to obtain the same processing result using different coding options. Despite producing the same result, these coding options can generate different processing costs when executed. Consequently, programs with inadequate consumption of resources (CPU, I/O etc.) may be promoted to the productive environment because programmers do not implement the most adequate coding in terms of quality. In general, deadlines for program development and maintenance lead to the coding process focusing more on effectiveness (seeking an end-result) in detriment of efficiency (seeking a better quality result).
There are studies that indicate that almost 80% of performance problems in a database are caused by badly prepared SQL codes and that, in general, a small number of QUERIES is responsible for most of the consumption resulting from the use of databases. In this context, it becomes important to have an automated process that continuously inspects the SQL coding and is capable of identifying inadequate code before it is promoted to the production environment.
Eccox Application Quality Control for DB2 acts as a quality filter, preventing inadequate code from being promoted to the production environment and identifying inadequate logic access logic, coding that can cause the consumption of critical resources or even errors in execution time, provoking impacts on the stability of the environment. The results of the evaluations are registered in product bases, constituting an inventory of evaluations of the collection of installation programs. It should be used during the development of programs in steps that precede the promotion of the code within the application lifecycle or in inventory processes to identify eventual opportunities for improvement.
Eccox Application Quality Control for DB2 is simply and easily integrated into the tools that manage the lifecycle of applications such as Endevor and Changeman. It should be integrated into the development cycle of applications (inserted in the code compilation and promotion procedures), interacting in the program development and maintenance phases. Its purpose is to support development in the coding process, identifying the SQL that present violations and providing orientation regarding the applicable alternatives according to each case.
• Definition and implementation of contingency processes;
• Monitoring the vegetative growth of Eccox Application Quality Control for DB2 databases according to the stored evaluation data;
• Implementation of the purge process of evaluation data;
• Maintenance of processes that implement Eccox Application Quality Control for DB2 interface with the continuous integration process;
• Adjustments to product parameters;
• Adjustments to parameters for the rules of verification;
• Choice of the adopted evaluation criterion, signal codes and mode of operation;
• Definition and implementation of new rules of verification;
• Implementation in user exit of product;
• Registration of API (subprograms);
• Registration of source files in exception;
• Registration of the Legacy.